10/8/09

Carey Impressing

October 8, 2009

There is a new name making waves up in Newark, NJ these days, Tariq Carey. The 6-foot-2 170 pound combo guard from Newark EastSide had a breakthrough summer and now finds himself rocketing up the rankings in the 2012 class. Not surprisingly, the high majors are catching on quickly.

Carey shared his lengthy list of summer activities with ScarletNation. "I went to St. John's Elite Camp, Hoop Group Elite, WVU and the Super Showcase in July. In August, I went to SMU's Elite Camp, Five Star, and then back to Hoop Group Elite. In between, I was in the weight room and the gym working on my game and my jump shot. I made the All Star team for Five Star and Hoop Group on all my visits. It was a good experience to play against the top players in my region. I just want to keep challenging myself to get better and better."

While that might have been enough for most young players like Carey, he hasn't stopped there. "I recently took an unofficial visit to St. Johns, and they stopped by during an open gym to check me out again. I really like the coaches there. I was at Rutgers this past weekend for Fall Jam Fest"

All reports suggest that Carey stood out amongst the talent laden field at RU, which included fellow rising sophomores Kyle Anderson and Amile Jefferson.

When asked to comment on his game, Carey has this to offer: "I'm a strong penetrator. I can get in the lane at will against most guards. I'm also crafty with the ball and I rarely get it stolen from me. I play the passing lanes well on defense, and I'm a willing learner. I do need to become a more consistent shooter and once I do, I believe the sky is the limit for me. I'm working hard to improve my range and consistency."

And although Carey's profile has increased dramatically these past few months, he remains amazingly grounded, and has a strong connection with his family. "My mother inspires me because she is always teaching me the right thing to do, so when I'm out on my own I won't have to depend on anyone. She is also my biggest supporter and someone I can talk to if I have a bad game."

His offensive "shortcomings" don't seem to be scaring away the recruiters though. Schools showing early interest include St. Johns, SMU, Arkansas, Temple, Notre Dame, Penn State, Siena, St. Josephs, Oregon State, and Missouri.

Carey is ranked among NJ Hoops top 10 sophomores.

No comments: