10/23/13

Jags Add Power Forward Commitment

As Augustine Rubit prepares to suit up for his final season at South Alabama, Coach Matthew Graves and his staff must look for the future stars for the South Alabama frontcourt. That search bore fruit this weekend as they secured the commitment of power forward Abdul Lewis of Newark, New Jersey.
Despite an injury that limited him on the AAU summer circuit (he played on the Roadrunners with current freshman guard Aakim Saintil) and cost him valuable recruiting exposure, the 6'8", 220lb athlete had earned offers from George Mason, Wagner, American and NJIT. Schools such as St. Josephs, Fordham and St. Louis had urged him to attend prep school instead of signing this year so that they could further evaluate him. An excellent student (he is already fully qualified), Lewis chose instead to give his commitment to South Alabama.
"I decided to sign with South Alabama because it was just a perfect for me," he told JagsJungle.com. "After hanging out with the coaches and players, I just knew it was where I wanted to be. Those guys are a family. Also, I fit into their style of play and they plan on using my versatility on offense and defense. I love the atmosphere in the South. It's something special that's just not present up North. Just a different feel. Knowing I would be playing with my former AAU teammate, point guard Aakim Saintil, just added another level of comfortability."
Lewis led his East Side High School team to the public school state title this past year, although his correct statistics from that season are not available. The skills he brings to the court will benefit the Raiders in their search for another title and the following year will help the Jags as they seek a Sun Belt title.
"I'm versatile at both ends of the floor," he said. "On offense I can score on the inside and dominate the paint and also step out and make long and mid range shots or beat defenders off the dribble. I have a good ball handle. On defense I can guard the post as well as taller perimeter players. (To be ready for college basketball) I need to improve my explosiveness and strength."
South Alabama expects to sign as many as three players in the fall period, which begins on November 13th.

No comments: