7/19/14

INTRODUCING… ABDUL LEWIS

Abdul Lewis

Freshman Abdul Lewis is the second New Jersey native to join the team in the last two years, and at 6-foot-9, he's the tallest member of the 2014-15 roster. A two-time state champion, Lewis didn't take up the game until eighth grade. He spoke with USAJaguars.com about why he chose South Alabama and the biggest adjustment to living in Mobile.

When did you start playing basketball?
In eighth grade, I grew six inches. I was always playing football but people started telling me to play basketball because I got taller. I thought it was a good idea since I was taller than everybody.

Take me through your journey to get to South Alabama.
I went to high school at Newark East Side, a public school in New Jersey. I didn't make varsity my freshman year; I didn't make it until my sophomore year but I won two state championships. I got hurt my last AAU season so a lot of coaches didn't see me, but my AAU coach knew Coach (Dan) Matic and Coach (Matthew) Graves, so he talked to them and they came and watched me, and liked what they saw.

Why did you choose South Alabama?
When I came on my official visit, I liked the relationship between the players and the coaches; I thought that was really good. I wanted to have a team that was like my high school team, that was a real family, and this seemed like a real family.

What did you know about South Alabama or Mobile before you were recruited?
Not too much. My AAU teammate, Aakim Saintil, came here last year, so I knew about the school from him, but that was about it.

How has the adjustment been coming from the North to the South?
It's been a big adjustment; the weather is probably the biggest thing. It's really hot down here. But everybody is friendlier, in the town itself; everybody you saw walking around will speak to you. It's way better, I would say. Newark is a bigger city—there are more people—but I like it here.

Had you ever spent any length of time in the South prior to coming here?
My aunt lives in Atlanta, Ga. I used to spend summers there.

What will be your biggest adjustment to the college game?
The speed of the game and the strength and athleticism of everybody else, and the length of the other players too, because there weren't a lot of people my height in high school. When I first played with the team this summer, I noticed that everybody had a good basketball IQ; it's not like that in high school. Everybody here understands the game well. Everybody's athletic and strong; it's more advanced.

How would you describe your playing style?
I would consider myself a stretch-4. I can defend bigger post players and taller wing players.

What do you consider to be the strongest part of your game?
My ability to fight; I won't back down from a challenge, I don't care who it is.

What do you try to accomplish during the offseason workouts?
Making sure I get through all of them and don't quit, and get stronger.

What do you enjoy the most of the game of basketball?
The fact that it takes everything away. You don't think about anything else when you're playing, you just think about basketball.

Who has been the biggest influence on your basketball life?
My mom and my high school and AAU coaches. My high school coaches played a big part because they are kind of like father figures to me. They helped me a lot; they never let me quit and pushed me. My AAU coaches did the same thing. They did everything for me and pushed me as hard as they could.

What do you expect of yourself this season?
To play hard defense, get a lot of rebounds and do whatever I can to help the team.

What coach recruited you and what was your relationship like during that process?
Coach Graves and Coach Matic saw me at the same time, but I talked to Coach Matic the most. He's from up north so that clicked for us. He was a big help for me in the recruiting process.

What professional player do you try to model your game after?
I try to watch everybody, I don't key in on one player. Whenever I see something that I think I can do, I try to do it.

Quick hits:
Favorite NBA team: Oklahoma City Thunder
Favorite college team growing up: I didn't really have one
Favorite sport other than basketball: Pro football and soccer
Favorite musical artist: Drake, Lil Durk and I listen to Justin Bieber
Favorite class: any math class
Favorite movie: "Coach Carter"

No comments: